Thursday 1 October 2009

Road Songs (Special Edition)



Amongst the many pleasures I have found in driving there is one that has become an art, at least for me: braking. There are two others to which I will refer in future special editions, but braking merits its own post.

And I am not merely talking about the act of bringing a car to a complete halt by applying force against the friction of the road, but rather the subtle changes that occur as I shift from gear to gear.

The E70 westbound from Cantabria to Asturias recently offered me the chance to enjoy this lesser-known gem. And I’ve come to think of it in the same way a musician regards his/her own playing and/or singing skills, hence the inclusion in this special edition of ‘Road Songs’.

The M25 here in the UK is not a very good place to practise the art of braking. It is usually choc-a-bloc with traffic jams everywhere and rather than enjoying the kinetic energy involved in the process, you end up feeling claustrophobic and on the brink of a road-rage fit. The 'Ocho Vías' motorway on which I drove in Cuba earlier this year was somewhat flat and monotonous, although surprisingly in good conditions, so that's another no-go. How different the picture was in the Spanish countryside. The E70, a long stretch of road that meanders from the Basque Country to Galicia - becoming A8 in the process - had plenty of soft slopes and suave bends (there’ll be another special post on bends, by the way). In the distance rolling hills helter-skeltered through the Iberian landscape. Deep valleys called out to the driver’s attentive eye and the nature lover in me slowed the car down whenever possible and soaked up the surroundings. Tiny hamlets hung on to perilous slopes.

It was this combination of driving - and braking, of course - and music playing on the car stereo that made me wonder if the arts could widen up its scope to include this dissipation of energy as yet another proof of man's creative nature. In the same way a pianist presses a key on his or her instrument to elicit a particular sound, when I press down on the brake pedal the effect sometimes can be that of the coupling of acoustic energy and air to produce sound. And no, it is not of the screeching type, although that happens all too often.

My first example tonight is Maria Rita and her excellent song 'Muito Pouco'. At 2:27, there's a tiny stop of half a second before the music goes up a couple of notches. It is the equivalent of braking smoothly around a bend on a broad motorway, bringing the car from fifth gear down to fourth and then beefing it back up to fifth. Beautiful.



My second offering tonight comes all the way from Italy (I promised more music from that European nation and I'm keeping my word). Eros Ramazzotti brings back memories galore, especially to those who, like me, enjoyed his well-deserved popularity in the early 90s in Cuba. This song, 'Musica E', is so full of stops that it could well be used in a driving lesson, teaching future drivers how to apply the brake, where and when. The way the musicians and singer meander through the melody reminds me of trips on hilly roads. I hope you enjoy it.



Third track tonight has that perfect combination of pop and classical music mixed together. I have always loved Jamiroquai but even I was taken by surprise when this track first came out. And I remember playing it on a loop on my Walkman. At 3:18 the brakes are applied and yet you have the feeling that he has let the musical car coast a little bit, as if not wanting the song to finish. The same sentiment I have when I come to the end of my journey and I brake slowly until it's time to bring the clutch pedal down. Smoothly. Thanks and happy driving!



Photo taken from flickr.com

Copyright 2009

Next Post: 'Sunday Mornings: Coffee, Reflections and Music' to be published on Sunday 4th October at 10:00 (GMT)

23 comments:

  1. Ooh it's a night of music! Just posted some South African funk/jazz hybrid. That's a novel idea about brakes and musical breaks. I enjoyed all of these tracks, Maria Rita's sultry treatment, Eros' drama and Jamiroquai's innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr C

    thank you again for these wonders...

    Mr Ramazzotti sure stirs up the Eros and Miss Rita - I wish I knew what she was saying because she does it with so much intensity and fervour...

    thanks Mr C

    Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool stuff. Thanks for posting the music --

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm, I think I mastered the art of bike braking, cycling to work every day in traffic I have to change brakes on my bike every five months or so, I think that says something

    I've never been a fan of Eros Ramazotti but I love this track! it's going on my ipod tonight, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I come here you always make me think. Braking, now that is a good one. I'm usually the one screeching my brakes. I could never drive my car without music and hope it slows me down a bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Un uomo una parola! Bravo Cuban, mi ha fatto piacere che ti sei ricordato e mantenuto ció che avevi promesso :)

    Si, questo brano ha avuto un grandissimo successo in tutto il mondo. Ramazzotti é cosi, fá musica e diventa sempre una da classifica internazional.

    Musica italiana di qualitá ti avevo segnalato una volta. Franco Battiato, Paolo Conte, Fabrizio DeAndré........ Se ti servono link utili, fammi sapere :)

    Un saluto da Colonia,
    Salva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet friend, you are pure music. I am always amazed how everything can be brought around to a type of music and when it does it is exactly the right music. You amaze me.

    On braking, when Wahid brakes, I seriously always want to freak out because he drives right up to the car in front and then brakes. It is jerk, as my head bounces around my shoulders.

    Love Renee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for your kind comments.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guarda nel mio blog Cuban. Una ricetta di pasta che ti piacerá ;)

    Saluti,
    Salva

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was an unusual perspective of the flip-side of momentum!

    When I taught piano, I used to tell my students that rests are as important as notes - and that with even a brief adjustment to the tempo, the interpretation can go from ho-hum to electric.

    I enjoyed your ride on the E70...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I say this with the utmost respect but you are the only person who has just made braking sound sexy. Great music choices as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm quite amazed at your ability to take a topic such as braking and turn it into something extremely interesting to read, and listen to... By the way, the Eros song is an old time favorite of mine. Thanks for linking that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love saw this video
    maria rita is one of my favorite singers, she's just perfect. look for the song "o homem falou". its my favorite song of her!!

    i'm glad you like it too!!

    happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah.. driving (and braking).. that is best enjoyed in the emerged world... here in India, I don't even want to get behind a steering wheel ... that is one aspect of relocating back to India that I don't enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Extraordinary. Quite exceptionally extraordinary. Only you, Mr. Cuban, could equate the act of touching the brake pedal with the cadences and movement of music AND write about it with such eloquence. I shall never brake again without thinking of Maria Rita.

    It is wonderful to be back here in your world again, Mr. C. I'm off now to catch up on all your posts that I missed during our house-hunting safaris. What a treat I'm in for - I just know it's going to be a marvellous half hour of great writing and good music.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many thanks to you all for your kind comments.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cuban: What a fascinating post! I love it - 'the art of braking'. I never actively brought my awareness to it - especially to compare it to rhythms, flow, continuity, beat, breath - so appropriate now that you have comandeered my attention! I have always been aware of trying to create a smooth ride and in fact trying to use my brakes as little as possible - loving properly constructed highways where the curve itself pulls you around without adjusting the steering wheel or braking. Or how increasing your speed rather than applying the brakes makes magic with the centrifical force. Well, as you see - I don't brake much in my mind either. Except to say, now I have to go back and appreciate the music you provided to illustrate your points. I was too caught up in brake bliss to stop and enjoy the music. (Obviously I am talking about driving an automatic and not a standard shift auto - quelle sacrilege!)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! I so enjoyed this post - I love driving and although living in the country now, do occasionally do the M25 round, when so often being trapped as you say, not much braking goes on. Best test for me is Cairo where my foot hovers ready to pounce and you so need beautiful music to drown out the blare of the horns. How wonderful to hear Eros Ramazzotti again, that indeed brought some wonderful memories back for me, for I was braking around the wonderful desert roads of Al Ain UAE. A delightful post this, so clever equating braking and the good use of gears to the pauses in music - this appealed greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. there is always something incredibly interesting and intelligent going on here . . .

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great musics! yes, I love the combination of pop and classic mixed together!! Lovely!

    ps. thank you for your lovely comment on my blog! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a passionate hatred for the M25...but with these songs maybe the drive will be more bearable...thanks for the tunes tonight..Greetings from Mexico! How about some tunes for the Periferico here in Df as the second layer is constructed above our very heads as we risk our lives daily getting to work!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Many thanks for your kind words.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eros- certainly, reminds me of the halts or pauses within dance or choreography---transitions or a merging of related rhythms---like a walk in the forest or by the sea where life seems always to by clearer or more resonant---have a super day! and thank you for you gift of song and writings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...