Saturday 5 July 2008

Road Songs (Fiesta)

Starting today and carrying on next week I will be celebrating my first year behind the wheel. More to come in seven days. In the meantime, I will leave you with a small selection of clips that better explain my mood.

First off we have the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, with a classic, 'I Feel Good' and you know what, after a year on the road with a valid driver's licence in my pocket, that's how I feel. This is soon followed by a Cuban band that has reaped countless awards in its short existence. Orishas is a rap group with a unique sound and inimitable charisma. Third down the playlist is Bob Marley's son, Ziggy Marley, covering his father's timeless anthem' Punky Reggae Party'. I have always loved dance routines in videos and this is as good as it gets, Michael Jackson's 'Remember the Time'. Pity that the original clip cannot be embedded. Celia Cruz, the Queen of Latin Music, comes up next with 'La Vida es un Carnaval' because life is a carnival, ladies and gentlemen and we had better parade behind and alongside the float whilst we can. Marvin Gaye's errant lover served as the inspiration for a song that has defied time, 'I Heard Through the Grapevine' and we, his fans, are the beneficiaries of his musical mastery. Released in 1990 and danced all the way throughout Cuba, Gerardo's 'Rico Suave' was the summer track of that year. And it has made it to the list. Last but not least is a clip that is not a music video per se, but a scene from a film that encapsulates how I feel at the moment (despite being jobless). 'Hombre Mirando al Sudeste' (Man Facing Southeast) was one of Eliseo Subiela's masterpieces and by incorporating Beethoven's Ninth Symphony into the plot he freed his main character and the supporting ones (literally). Please, even if you can't speak Spanish, stick it out until the end, you won't regret it. I will be back next week with a fresh bout of feel-good and air-punching tunes for everyone to sink their teeth into.





Copyright 2008

5 comments:

  1. Hi happy Cuban!
    Your mood is contagious, so I'm also feeling good after watching these wonderful clips. You've got an amazing blog man! I guess everyone tells you. I'm going to add your page to my blogroll so as not to miss your posts anymore. Greetings from Asturias,

    Ann (just to give an English version of my pretended - but unpretentious - nickname)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo aprendi a conducir aca en los Estados Unidos y lo que mas me gusta es andar sola en el carro con mi Ipod escuchando mis Road Song (y Orishas estan entre mis preferidos!!!)
    Saludos,
    Lena
    (ahora me voy a leer tu post sobre el ingles)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for popping by. I will link you both up to my blog.

    Pues me encanta manejar con musiquita rica en el estéreo del carro y como esta columna llegar a su fin la semana que viene (bu, bu, bu! sniff, sniff!) me quiero despedir por todo lo alto.

    Saludos desde Londres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. qué pasada Cuban, este video es espectacular! un beso

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracias, betty, y bienvenida de vuelta al blog!

    Saludos desde Londres.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...