Friday 11 July 2008

Road Songs (Fiesta) 2nd Part

Let it be known that a year ago today just as I was about to finish my driving test the examiner asked me to pull over and uttered the magic words: 'Congratulations, you have passed'. To say that I was over the moon would be putting it too mildly as this had been my fifth attempt to overcome this hurdle. And no, I was not a novice behind the wheel, I just did not have a valid licence, only a temporary one. Without that moment, though, this weekly column would not exist. It was the desire to share with fellow bloggers and readers the music I listened to whilst on the road that led me to begin a series that has been welcomed by all of you and that now comes to an end unfortunately (sniff, sniff). Sporadically I will do special 'one-offs' (like an autumn's hootenanny, for instance) but no more 'Road Songs' extravaganza. Which does not mean that I will stop now listening to good music whilst driving through the streets of London or any other city, village or town. Contrariwise, m'lud, I vow to carry on. I've picked some columns from this long series; they are not my favourite ones, there are no favourite ones because I love them all, but I just chose some at random.

The Beginning

The Pleasure of Reversing

The Joy of Uphill Starts

The Mechanics of Driving

So, which performers have I invited for my farewell party? Well, have a butcher's at the playlist below and pick up what you like (Note: butcher's is a Cockney rhyming slang word, butcher's hook=look)

Nitin Sawhney & Sharon Duncan - Eastern Eyes
So Flute - St. Germain
Faith Evans - Love Like This (live )
Manu Chao - Clandestino (live)
Afro Blue -Mongo Santamaria
Chico Buarque - Vai Passar
Stevie Wonder - Superstition (live)
Agua-Los Van Van



Copyright 2008

8 comments:

  1. y tuviste que aprender a conducir y todo del lado "equivocado"? Bueno mientras te acompania la buena musica, me imagino todo es posible!

    Por cierto, lei tus post sobre el "living in a bilingual world" y te puedo decir que es un tema apasionante del cual podria escribir un blog entero. Para mi educar a mis hijos en tres idiomas es todo una experiencia. Me da una tristeza inmensa ver como tantos padres eligen de usar el idioma del pais dominante privando asi a sus hijos esa riqueza cultural que va con cada idioma. Es un esfuerzo extra que hay que hacer y creo que vale la pena...no te sigo escribiendo sobre esto porque podria ser una disertacion sobre el tema :) !saludos,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos for passing your driving test! Must be a rigorous one in London?

    And nice music, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that I added you to my blogroll this afternoon. Hope that's okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Por supuesto, lena, que podriamos disertar sobre un tema que a todos nos toca muy de cerca. La vida linguistica del emigrante es parte intima de su cultura, por lo tanto al separar una afectas a la otra.

    Sobre lo de aprender a manejar del otro lado, jajaja! Bueno segun he oido fueron los romanos los que introdujeron la regla, que te parece? Siglos antes de que se inventara el primer carro. La razon era que la espada habia que llevarla en la mano derecha, por tanto...

    Gracias por pasar.

    Willow, I will add you to my blog in no time, too. It is a very rigorous test, comprised of two parts, theory and practice. It saddens me to admit that I failed the theory one on a couple of occasions, but I did. I guess that my creative mind is not compatible with an examiner's rationale. Theirs is focused only on a series of manoeuvres to follow and if you fail one, that's it, you have failed completely. But I passed a year ago and since then I have enjoyed my time behind the wheel.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo pasé el teórico en Cuba 4 veces, pero el práctico lo aprobé de la primera vez. No es que yo fuera bruto, sino que daban pocos dias para hacer el teórico y yo nunca tenía tiempo de hacerlo. Cuando veía a examinar, me decían que tenía que empezar de nuevo por el teórico...
    Nunca he manejado por el lado contrario y me parece que me costaría trabajo.
    Buena la música. Siempre traes buenas mezclas.
    Saludos,
    Al Godar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracias por pasar, Al. Aqui no se hacia el teorico hasta hace algunos an-os segun me cuenta mi esposa. Ella no tuvo que hacerlo y saco la cartera hace 12 o 13 an-os. El teorico te da la oportunidad de hacer el practico en dos an-os si no, tienes que hacerlo de nuevo.

    Saludos desde Londres.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cuban. Yo aprendí a conducir en España. Nunca antes en Cuba había cogido un coche. La broma me costó 1000 euros sin repetir examen práctico y teórico. Vamos, a la primera. Luego salió la noticia en la tele que Zaragoza era la ciudad más cara de España para sacarse la licencia. Increíble. Desde luego vi algo raro en el precio. Eso fue hace 7 años. Si hubiese tenido que aprender en Londres quizás me hubiese costado más, dinero y tiempo para aprender a funcionar al revés.
    Un abrazo. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola, acrey, a mi la gracias me ha salido en tanto que para contarlo ya. El hecho es que ya tengo la cartera en mi mano y puedo andar y desandar por donde me plazca con el carro.

    Gracias por pasar.

    Saludos desde Londres.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...