Wednesday 8 March 2017

Urban Diary

I set off on my run in the mid afternoon sun. As I close the front door of my house, I listen to two voices inside me: one comes from my mind, the other one from my body. Together they either help me achieve my goal or make me give up half way through. My marathon is in almost four weeks’ time and I aim to complete seventeen miles today. I plan to “break the wall”, that invisible, mental construct that defeats runners of all ages, genders and abilities. Last year as I trained for the same event, the Brighton Marathon, I came across certain features in my personality to which I had not paid proper attention before, resilience and stubbornness being two of them (mind you, the latter has been known to me for several years). The “wall-breaking” moment brought about changes in the way I saw running and the elements I needed to work on in order to succeed.

Today both voices are in agreement: you can do it. Still, I look for mental and visual stimulation. Being well acquainted with the route I will be covering makes my physical effort less demanding.


Massed and compact front lawns announce timidly the arrival of spring. Small, buttercup-coloured daisies stand out amongst the lush green, a green that is the result of heavy downfalls (including Storm Doris) in London in the last fortnight. With the temperature in double figures, but certainly not in the teens yet and a weak sun bleeding orange rays I take the first step.

Up and down I go around my urban jungle. After a while the route becomes flatter and my pace steadies. As if in direct contradiction with my surroundings my energy levels rise as the day slowly dies. By the time I reach mile fifteenth, the sun is but a spark behind the buildings on the high road. I get home submerged in darkness. I check my mileage and I feel pleased about reaching my goal. For some strange reason I think back on the buttercup-coloured daisies, springing up amidst the lush green of people’s front lawns.

© 2017

Photo taken by the blog author

Next Post: “Thoughts in Progress”, to be published on Saturday 11th March at 6pm (GMT)

14 comments:

  1. Well done - even thinking about a marathon is a huge achievement. (There was a moment, towards the summit of Kilimanjaro, when I knew I couldn't do it. There are some mountains I simply can't climb. It wasn't such a terrible lesson, though it felt grim at the time. But I am in awe of anyone who hits that moment and doesn't just sit down and let the world run by.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that you are able to look at yourself and see your qualities, both good and bad. We all should do this, it can really help us to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A moment can sure show us what we can do and what we need to do to get done what we want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I am awed. Well done. Stubborn has some very real benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried running when I was younger but I'm built like a quarter horse, not designed for speed or long distance running.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe the Marathon is almost upon us again. Not only do I wish you well for the big day, I also congratulate you for the way you think about it, plan it, and put it into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mucho animo a este maratón y buen entrenamiento, no dejes de hacer lo que creas que puedes hacer.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the marathon. It takes a great deal of endurance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am impressed by your determination, which is my preferred synonym for stubbornness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. good to be stubborn sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful description! I can imagine the spring... And good luck with your marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi ACIL - congratulations on that run ... and such good luck with the rest of your preparations ... I guess mind over matter for a marathon ... keep on running ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. When it comes to preparing to run a marathon, (WOW!) that resilience and stubbornness will serve you well. Keep up the good work!

    I used to love to run, but not for long distances. I loved the exhilaration of running fast. Now, I mostly walk slowly. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...