Saturday 4 March 2017

Thoughts in Progress

The human experience is a moment-hopping journey. Random memories coalesce together in the hope we can make sense of our existence, of who we are, why we are here. We weave a consciously lineal narrative into our voyage through the world and yet our subconscious releases these stories like a bundle of pick-up sticks in a game of Mikado.

Snap! There we are, aged six and our front tooth has just come out. We smile at everyone without fear or shame. The hole in our denture defies ridicule and encourages individuality. Distant is still the feeling of embarrassment that will plague our future years, whenever we are asked on to the dance floor.

Snap! There we are, sitting by ourselves on the cracked wall next to the abandoned, weed-strewn, communal garden. We are the acne-afflicted teenager with pain in his heart and no Plan B on how to deal with it. Yesterday we rose to kiss our loved one. Standing on toes, raised heels. Raised hopes. Dashed now.

Snap! We are the young adult with a frown on our face and a letter in our hand explaining mortgage rates. Our ship moves ever so slowly away from harbour. Soon, we will not have tranquil waters anymore. Instead we will be at the mercy of the ever-changing weather. The letter sits on the table. The mortgage rates fluctuate in the stock market. We are building our monument to Nostalgia.


Nostalgia. Self-lacerating and yet so welcome. One minute you are the mature, decisive adult who handles each child-related emergency with pragmatism and sang froid. The next minute, you are an emotional wreck as memories of that cracked wall flash up in your mind.

Nostalgia. Indulgence in the past or fear of the future? Traps that Time sets for us, unsuspecting humans, or tools to re-imagine easily forgotten eras?

The ball I threw while playing in the park has not yet reached the ground. No, it moved in whimsical ways and continues to move that way. Neither lineally nor predictably, but randomly. Like a bundle of pick-up sticks in a game of Mikado. Ready to be released.





© 2017

Photo by the blog author

Next Post: “Urban Diary”, to be published on Wednesday 8th March at 6pm (GMT)

18 comments:

  1. A very poetic post. I love my memories. I suppose when we get older as I am we like to reminisce about the past. My childhood, my children, my grandchildren, and now my great-grandchildren. I like to remember how my parents loved me. My brothers and sisters and I were together. We fought and played heartily. These and so many other memories give me such pleasure. And yet I can keep on living and make new memories too. Isn't it grand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true it is. And how fortunate we are that our linear reality can be overruled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully worded post. Thought inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such memories can sure flood in while we create new as toward the future we go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Compelling and thought-provoking...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to cut the past out of my life, but I can't, so I've learned to soften it like a fog.

    Thank you for Dylan's words, it's much better to think the ball has not yet reached the ground rather than to think it is lost in the forest. I can see it in the air now and that is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such a lovely way with words! I don't think we can ever really cut the past out of our life...however, we can definitely work with our attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is quite beautiful -- it's as if even the word "nostalgia" has been somehow drawn in words and feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read your thoughts in progress three times. Brilliant. Only you can assemble thoughts and words in such a way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I get older (which makes me sound wrinkly, but you know what I mean) I take less and less notice of those early photos - children with ice cream down their chins, first disco outfit etc. It's the wonderful women that they are now, that's what I value - and those are the photos on my walls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. reading too much of science and you know the memories is not real either :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful thought-provoking post, dear Mario. Your talent with words never fails to amaze me.

    You'll find that as you get older, time will seem to bend even more, so vibrant memories from days gone by will pop up more frequently, and they'll put a smile on your face and a slight twinge in your heart. If we can treasure those memories of people, places and things who once populated our lives, and if we can embrace, and sometimes forgive, the person we were and strive to be, and if we can do all of that without losing sight of today's reality and the challenges of the future, it's all good and glorious. We can't spend so much time looking into the rear view mirror that we no longer see and appreciate the scenery in front of us, but an occasional glance at what's behind us can be very enjoyable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is such a lovely post. It's hard to believe we were all once at an age when we didn't know what embarrassment was. It never ceases to amaze me how certain memories come to you without warning and pulls you back to a distant time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nostalgia - so beautifully described!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi ACIL - as we grow older ... the memories or snippets of them will pop back in - then we really need to jot them down for our rainy days, or others who might be interested. I shall remember that curving ball that stays in the air as it travels ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have senses of nostalgia at times! Good memories are precious and should be cherished. I enjoyed reading you post and liked the philosophy of it all. Well done. Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like being nostalgic, but prefer to look ahead more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nuestra vida es así, etapas tras etapa de la que vamos cogiendo agradables sorpresas buenas y menos buenas, pero así vamos envejeciendo intentando agradecer lo que hemos ido teniendo de bueno.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...