Saturday 11 March 2017

Thoughts in Progress

Nancy Sinatra once sang: “Well, these boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do/One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you”. It is not just Miss Sinatra‘s sassiness that sets up apart but also what we do with our footwear.
My boots turn twenty this year. Notice the use of “my” in the previous sentence. I did not write “I have a pair of boots that turns twenty this year”. I could have, though. I have more than one pair of boots, including hiking ones. But when I say “my boots”, there is only one pair that counts. My Mexican boots, bought in 1997, end of February or beginning of March after I found out that I had been given my tourist visa to visit London.

Although I have forgotten the month and date, I do remember the day when I purchased my boots. It was a typical winter’s day in Havana with the temperature hovering in the mid-20s. That morning I went to the British embassy in Miramar, western Havana, and after getting my paperwork in order decided to hit the streets of Old Havana, in the east, for a while.

The first shoe boutique in the Cuban capital – to my knowledge – had recently opened on Obispo Street, a pedestrian-only road that was flanked by shops, paladares and crafts business on either side. It was on one of its corners where I first laid eyes on a mahogany-coloured pair of Mexican boots. They were dear, I won’t lie. The fact I cannot remember the price probably tells you how embarrassed I felt at the time at coughing up much-worked-for cash in exchange for such luxury product. The money came from my free-lancing. It was a fruitful period for me; in addition to my interpreting and translation services I taught Spanish to foreign students.

From that moment I put my boots on, winter/spring ‘97 to now, writing this post in the quiet of my house, listening to Beethoven’s Sonatas performed by Daniel Baremboim, my faithful boots have always been by my side. As if to remind me of their longevity, today one of them paid a visit to our local cobbler’s (yes, believe it or not, we still have a cobbler) and it now has its heel glued back on.

James Taylor’s lines “Winter, spring, summer or fall/All you've got to do is call/And I'll be there, ye, ye, ye/You've got a friend” could well have been written with my boots in mind. They are the ones singing the verses. On my feet they travelled to Dominican Republic, Spain (three times), Cuba (twice) and various places in Britain, including Oban (Scotland), Dorset, Cornwall and Woolacombe (England). They have been worn to pedal down the streets of Londontown and I’ve walked with them from Oxford Street, where it meets Charing Cross Road, to Lambeth Bridge via Whitehall and Abindgon Street. I have got hot and sweaty whilst dancing with them on (in fact, that’s how the heel on the right one came off a year and a half ago).

In a world of unbridled consumerism it would be easy to dismiss my unshakeable and unconditional love for my boots as romantic tomfoolery. Well, I’d better come clear then: I am a hopeless, romantic fool sometimes. Only sometimes, mind, the rest of the time I am a romantic with 99% of reality in my head. Occasionally, I tell that 99% to go very far and stay with that 1% that more than makes up for the missing percentage.

Last autumn, for the first time in two decades I looked in a catalogue for a similar pair of boots to my Mexican ones. I guess that in the back of my mind the idea of the inevitable was forming. My old friends will give up the ghost one day and, whilst nothing can replace them, contemplating alternatives did not feel like treachery. However, I got so upset at the thought of losing my dear, old boots that I closed the pages of the brochure in my hands.


Here's to you, my faithful boots!

It is strange to think of inanimate objects, like shoewear, as friends. It is normal to fall for cats, dogs and other pets and see our relationship with them in the same light as a friendship with another human being. Yet, to me, the fact that this pair of tough, solid, well-made boots have endured for so long and have made such a big impact on my life is proof that sometimes friends are not of the chase-the-ball kind, or the roll-over-the-floor-while-I-tickle-your-belly type. Sometimes all they want is to be worn. Over and over again. All over the city, the countryside and near the sea. Now, whether you decide to walk over someone with them on, well, that one is up to you. And I certainly am not that sassy.


© 2017

Next Post: “Living in a Multilingual World”, to be published on Wednesday 15th Marchat 6pm (GMT)

15 comments:

  1. I heard Carol King sing that song with James Taylor live in Portland two years ago. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Carole King and I remember the Nancy Sinatra song you speak of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole is our goddess... yes, boots become part of our souls/soles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good songs, but good boots from the perspective of a hiker are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good boots can't be topped, took me a while to find a good pair. 4 years and still going strong...with a hole or two

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had a pair of shoes last that long. But of course I never had the money to get a really good pair either. I always liked the song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wept unreservedly at the loss of an inaminate object. And feel no guilt. Some of them had been through good times and bad with me.
    I am fond of both of today's featured songs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had boots of the kind you describe but if I did I would cherish them, and I cannot tell you how nice it is to know that you would never figuratively or literally walk over others in them. As for Ms. King, I enjoy her music and hope to do the same with her book. Greetings from Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boots and shoes certainly can produce memories. I was hunting through Joe's old stuff with a view to discarding most of it. But then I came across a pair of old shoes that he loved. I couldn't throw them out because they reminded of various happy times. Keep your boots, they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post.

    I can definitely relate to your boot story. I had one pair years ago that I continued to wear with holes in them I loved them that much. And in a Canadian winter, holes in boots are not a good idea lol.

    You brought memories of some musical moments I've loved too, thanks.😂

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi ACIL - love old shoes that are faithful and I'll hang on to them as long as possible too ... just sad to see them go! I do hope your boots last long and hard for lots more wear ... but perhaps you'll find another pair so similar sometime soon - that will last another couple of decades plus! I had to look up Abingdon Street ... I'd no idea it tied into Millbank ... live and learn - and learn I have ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, boots, like jackets, or bags... can become friends, if they make us feel comfortable and "at home" no matter where we are.
    I have a pair of Italian jogging shoes (an urban version) that must be soon twenty years old. I don't know how I will survive without them: comfortable, elegant, empowering, they make me look taller and smarter... :)
    Have a sunny new week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous memory. I can see how those boots became a trusted companion, joining you as traveled the world. I had a cap with "Brooklyn" emblazoned on the front for years and I considered it my good luck charm whenever I flew. I eventually misplaced the cap and now I take Xanax when I fly.

    Take care of those boots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I got divorced last year, I bought a pair of the most ridiculously expensive Italian boots. I've worn them nearly every single day since. I adore them. It's like they stand (yes, STAND) for my new life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always love to hear the boot song of Nancy :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...