Friday 22 February 2019

Meals on (Two) Wheels



When it comes to music, Jamaicans are never short of a banger (or more), so it goes without saying that when it comes to their cuisine they favour a zinger there as well. Rudie’s in Dalston, east London, is that kind of place where you can get a piece of real Jamaican grub at a decent price in comfy and homely surroundings.
Meals on Two Wheels rocked up there recently and after struggling to find a parking space for its bicycle (this is east London after all!), it rested its muscular behind on one of the establishment’s straight-backed seats. A gloomy and nippy winter Saturday afternoon was the only excuse needed to tuck into a plate of Peppered Shrimps and a (as it turned out) very generous portion of plantain (by the way, the correct pronunciation of "plantain" might be reason enough to start WWIII. If you don't believe me put a West-Indian and an African in the same room.). The prawns were king-sized and bathed in Boston sauce. They were accompanied by a welcome committee, made up of cherry tomatoes and avocado salsa.
Whilst over the years Meals on Two Wheels has gone from no-hot to vindaloo-hot, nothing could prepare our regular, bicycle-powered section for the might of Jamaican hot. The Old Jamaican Ginger Beer that was ordered with the bite was not enough to quell the fire. Luckily, a very helpful Italian waitress brought over a glass of milk. This went some way to mitigate the inferno caused by the Peppered King Prawns.

However, do not let this small incident put you off Rudie’s. Pound for pound, it is one of the better eateries in east London today. The shrimps were well-cooked and tender. They were also plentiful. The plantain was of the as-Mama-cooks-them-back-home variety. And at just under fifteen quid for a dish that could have been a main (their platters range from £7.50 to £12. They also cater to vegans), Rudie’s is a snip. Meals on Two Wheels has since been back with a couple of friends.
Just a piece of advice, though. Make sure that if you do go to Rudie’s, you’re not out marathon-training the next day. Your stomach might disagree with your choice.

© 2019

30 comments:

  1. If I should ever tread the streets of London Town again, CiL, I would enjoy partaking in the delight of feasting on shrimp with you. It is the only seafood I relish and I frequently order it when eating out.

    Your weather must be significantly better than mine if you are out and about on your bicycle. The ground here is entirely covered by more than a foot of snow and the temperature hovers around the zero (Fahrenheit) mark.

    Nice to see you posting ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds divine. There were many Jamaicans where I grew up, so the food and its spiciness are appreciated. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. : )) What a treat!

    A few weeks ago we ordered Indian food for the whole family. We love Indian food. My kids love spicy food... very spicy! I like it mild. The order included 2 lamb biryani dishes with basmati rice. One really spicy and the other one mild. I was told which was which. I forgot. I picked the spiciest of them all, of course!!! I had to have a glass of milk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a wimp when it comes to heat, so I know this would be too spicy for me. (I can barely handle medium!) I would love to try plaintains. I've seen them in the store and seen ways to prepare them on TV, but never tried any myself. So what is the correct pronunciation? I'm sure my southern accent butchers the word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good--There was a hole-in-a-way Jamaican establishment here that is okay, but whenever I am in Brunswick (about 65 miles south of here) I make it a point to eat at the Jamaican restaurant there. It's all good food!

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool bike and photo, and it sounds like a tasty meal in comfy surroundings. It is always nice to see you stopping by my blog. Thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great place to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't often get to the East these days but will certainly keep my eyes peeled for this whenever we do in the future... Mouth watering already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Esto es lo bueno que puedas encontrar comida internacional y disfrutarla.
    Un feliz fin de semana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi ACIL - sounds delicious ... but not before exercise ... and then the need for somewhere to chill out as the stomach enjoys. I see their site says 'Walk Good' - sounds better than two wheels for a while after such a tasty looking meal. Would love to visit ... one day perhaps - Good Luck with the marathon training - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. My diet has had to change. Not because of anything sordid but because I can't get out to enjoy food in the right atmosphere. Reading the description of your meal had my mouth watering... honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So you too are still here, is there any chance of you being told to pack your bags? I am practising lying low for now.

    The food sounds a touch too hot for my delicate old stomach, I’d have to have more than a glass of milk to quench the fire.

    Diana Athill died at a 101, just imagine; a life well lived and thanks to her late start, well recorded.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...now you've made me seriously hungry!
    This looks absolutely scrumptious...oh how I wish I lived nearby...I'd be there every week, at least!!😉

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! OK, this is good to know. I am always in search of restaurant recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It all sounds so good. If I ever get the chance to go to London I'll have to contact you for recommendations about where to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like spicy food... especially Thai... but I'm not a huge fan of any food that's eye-watering, nose-running, face-reddening h-o-t. For me, intriguing tastes trump fire.

    Oh, dear. Now I'm concerned. Am I pronouncing "plantain" correctly...? (I wouldn't want to start a war...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your comments. Most West Indians (especially Jamaicans say PLANtin, whereas west Africans tend to say planTAIN. I think African-Americans also favour the latter. :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so very tasty!
    It was lovely to hear from you, Mario! I visited London last summer. The number of interesting things in your city is overwhelming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds wise not to marathon after such a meal haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too hot's too hot for me! I wonder why some people can take the heat and others can't tolerate it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah. It's also very hot for us. And its good not to do extreme things after a huge meal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice post!Like the Food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never eaten anything like that but I wish I could. Unlikely here in Perthshire. Probably to be found in Edinburgh though. I must explore.

    ReplyDelete
  24. vindaloo-hot is something I cannot handle these days.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your last two sentences made me laugh :-)
    I remember we were in Jamaica and a German retiree "wanted" liverwurst for breakfast.
    I did not give away I´m German, too...

    ReplyDelete
  26. sounds too hot to handle for me (i have not tried Jamaican food, but i can handle our local Malay hotness quite decently).
    loved what you write about food. makes it so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. The food looks great :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  28. HM, never had Jamaican food, and I'm not sure if I want to now, recently super hot seems to have started to give me the runs! Not to.put too fine a point on it. I am also allergic to shellfish.... Glad you're getting so much cycling done

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a really helpful article. terribly fascinating to scan this text.I would wish to thanks for the efforts you had created for putting this on ink awe-inspiring article.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...