Sunday 13 July 2014

Sunday Mornings: Coffee, Reflections and Music

This is my last post before my customary summer break. When thinking of what to write today the words of Melvyn Bragg in a recent article in the New Statesman came to mind: “The rituals of walking are few but often seem essential. The garb, the route, the recognition of old favourites – trees, prospects, rivers. Once you are in the rhythm of those rituals what happens, to me at any rate, is that a non-self takes over. A non-drug-induced drift. And an expanding sense of inner freedom. And there are the inklings of sensations. Intimations? Shapes that could become thoughts that do not seem to obey mechanical laws. Maybe in time we will see that in fact they do. Maybe everything we feel will be settled by mathematics. But what if not? Might the known unknown of the universe and the brain surprise us all? And will we then lose this invaluable feeling of inner liberty?

I’ve included the whole paragraph to provide a bit of context. Writer, broadcaster and veteran presenter of the long-running South Bank Show (for those who don’t know who he is) Melvyn Bragg was musing about rituals, prayers, God and religion. He was, at the time of writing this article, in Cumbria. North West England. There were other submissions as well. From former Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, to philosopher Julian Baggini, contributors (and contributions) were varied and thought-provoking. It was Melvyn’s column, though, that really got to me.

The Big Ben: you don't need drugs to appreciate its beauty
I recognise that state he described. I have been under the influence of that “rhythm” he pondered over. My “non-self” has come out a few times as well. I call this the “gear” moment. As in all the “gears” slotting into place, well-oiled, fully functional, forward-motion gears, propelling, whatever device they are part of, onwards. Also, in my case like Melvyn’s, this is a “non-drug-induced” experience. Who needs drugs to appreciate David Gilmour’s guitar solo at the beginning of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, or the rich Cornish coastal landscape, or the majestic Big Ben, in the early evening after a whole day of rain in the company of someone you care about? Who needs drugs?

This is transcendence, not in a pantheistic way, but in a human one. As I mentioned before, the column Melvyn penned was part of a bigger debate on how we supposedly fill this “faith-shaped hole in modern life”. Whatever your take on God, religion and the like (and there are many, luckily), what can’t and shouldn’t be denied is that the moments Mr Bragg described above begin and end in the person, the human.

An anecdote is called for here to explain my line of thought. Almost a month ago the teacher of an Afro-Brazilian class in north London which I had been attending, rang me up out of the blue. He was stranded in Greece and needed someone to cover his workshop that night. I must admit that I felt flattered to be asked as up to then I had been only a student and found him to be a very engaging, knowledgeable and skilful tutor. He told me that I could work with the two percussionists who normally play in the class. Already this posed a challenge. Although Africa gave Brazil and Cuba similar cultures our dance traditions are very different. Throughout the day I could hardly concentrate on my work. My mind was on the workshop I was meant to deliver that night.

I took a gamble. I chose a type of dance from the extensive Afro-Cuban repertoire that resembled somewhat some of the moves this teacher had taught before and which could be executed without much difficulty by the two drummers. At the same time I added my own spin. After meeting and agreeing with the musicians on what rhythm they were going to play I felt more confident to go ahead with the idea I had in mind. It’s good to work with professionals who know what they are doing and these two drummers were top class. I began the warm-up.

After a few stretching and abdominal exercises with yogic influences, I asked the students to close their eyes and to stay where they were. I, then, went up to each of them and gave them the same instructions one by one, individually: Keep your eyes closed, don’t open your eyes, I want you to move to the music you are hearing now on the spot. I don’t care about technique, experience or anything, just move on the spot, move in whatever way you are feeling the music because this is your music, nobody else’s, it’s yours, you own it, so you dance it, you move to it. It was a full house, twenty plus students, but the “gears” were slotting into place. They were all moving in unison but in their own idiosyncratic way. This was what Melvyn Bragg called in his column “an expanding sense of inner freedom”. For them and for me. These people were free because they were not looking at each other. They couldn’t even look at themselves in the big mirrors the dance studio had. I had eliminated any source of inhibition and self-doubt that could have jeopardised my class and in its place brought in a primary sense of being. Being through a rhythm they had never heard. Being a human being in communion with the beautiful art of Afro-Cuban dance.

What happened that night was magical. Recalling it now in the context of the New Statesman’s question on faith, I realise that he answer is, at least to me: there is no faith-shaped hole, there’s just a reclaiming of transcendence from a human perspective. We have come full circle, and this time we have the language to explain the phenomenon. But even if we can’t explain it, we can still feel it.

I am of the belief that our ancestors came across moments of pure magic, of “gears”. But lack of linguistic resources rendered these cavewomen and men almost speechless. Hence the tendency to export their (potential) analytical powers to forces that dwelled outside them. That way they didn’t have to worry about the answers. Sometimes, however, one doesn’t need to have any answers. Sometimes there are no answers. Sometimes there cannot be any answers, for the methods to get to this truth have not been invented yet, or we haven’t discovered them.

My answer to Melvyn’s question on the “known unknown of the universe and the brain” is, yes, it will surprise us. But it won’t mean the end of our inner liberty. If anything, we will acquire an extra dimension. An extra human dimension. Cheerio, see you in the second week of September. I hope you enjoy the music today. Music with which to unlock your non-self and inner freedom.



© 2014

Photo taken by the blog author

Next Post: “Sunday Mornings: Coffee, Reflections and Music”, to be published on Sunday 14th September at 10am (GMT)

38 comments:

  1. sounds like a great dance class, excellent idea to get people to close their eyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. brother, as usual, reading you on a Sunday morning (and Java, o'course) puts a smile to me. who needs drugs to appreciate Syd? indeed! me!
    i, for one, do a bone for Floyd, no matter Gilmour's intent.

    i'm not sure i understand this "gear" thing unless it's akin to "being in the zone" something i experience on occasion - pinball well beyond all expectation of keeping the ball in play - a sidewalk bemebe when the clave exists just because . . .

    but i've got the feeling that its deeper than this, yes?
    hey, its my first cup. sometimes there are no answers.

    brother, YOU are magical, enjoy the summer,
    and see you on the be-back.

    p.s. thanks for Chia, this doobz for you!

    ..
    .ero

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. Bare, that's the thing, bro, "being in the zone". I also use that phrase. It's that magical moment when everthing comes together and you cry, bro, you cry out of pure emotion because how can life get any more beautiful than this? And give me pain, and hurt after, but let me live this moment, life and nature, for I bloody deserve it.

    Cheerio, man.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool approach to your dance class....it was much the same for me with words...i had to hear them....to hear their wild rhythm...and having taken dance, i def understand it from that perspective as well....

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are leaving? I feel like I just started :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. and I want to thank you for your kind Ramadan wishes. Enjoy your break and vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great idea to dance away at ones bay, let them feel and prance about haha enjoy your time away at your bay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I adore those rare moments...when you feel something that is utterly impossible to put into words...yet you are changed forever by the experience.
    It only happens once in a lifetime - a few more, if you are very fortunate - but will never be forgotten.
    And yes, those moments do make you cry.
    This powerfully Soul-stirring post has made me cry...I hope I will never stop crying tears of pure joy.

    Thank you for reviving such indescribably beautiful memories...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a fabulous summer break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think what you are writing about, CiL, is being interpreted in sometimes different ways by different people. My first thoughts went to the short story and subsequent film, "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner." Then, I thought of Zen-this and Zen-that in the form of activities, as well as forms designed purely for meditation.

    Since this was more involved with a group and the individuals within it than with an individual alone, where I finally settled and decided to stop thinking was when I moved into the difference between an imaginative, unique teacher as opposed to a typical, by-the-lesson-plan teacher. Life is a classroom, and the best teachers are those who not only stir the minds of their students, but add an occasion new ingredient to the recipe.

    A fine, thought-provoking post.

    Have fun and take care while you are away from the blogs, CiL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah dancing ... it reaches bits of yourself that are far beyond thinking.

    Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful empowering class that would have been. And a wonderful affirmation to all the individuals in it. Your friend and teacher made a wise choice when he asked you to cover his workshop.
    Have a wonderful break - you will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you sure know how to make a grand exit! This is a wonderful post. Loved the opening paragraph, loved your descriptions, and most especially loved the concept of that class you taught. Beautiful through and through.

    Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, listening to Chia makes me want to join all the littles at piano lessons and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic post.How special to experience that class, both as instructor and as student. Bravo! I hope you have a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sure the students very much appreciated the enriching experience as well.

    Enjoy your time away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved this, Cuban. I always said dancing was a mental thing... that we should 'feel' the music and move to it. Yes, I was a dancer in earlier years. Hope you have a wonderful summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're a fine teacher. You brought to life the expression "Dance like nobody's watching."

    ReplyDelete
  19. So true - when those moments occur, they are magical! Just like that photo too...

    ReplyDelete
  20. First-- have a wonderful break. Then thanks for this post. I am a great believer in the power of getting in physical " gears" with somethkng like dance and especially great when the self consciousness or narcissism can be taken out of it-- as seems the case here-- though I would have a hard time dancing with eyes closed. I think there is so much inexplicable in the world. Have a good respite. K.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you loved the blue color. We call it Royal Blue. :) Wishing you a great summer break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the dance class idea! Enjoy your summer break :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That dance class sounds great. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love how musicians, dancers, artists, poets - whatever inspire each other - and you can learn so much when working with someone who is experienced - was in london last weekend, sketching on portobello road and in the evening we walked across london bridge - it was magical - yeah - who needs drugs to enjoy such beauty

    ReplyDelete
  25. Saludos amigo, me encanta el nuevo aspecto de tu blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, the post was wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on your dance workshop debut! Such an honor to be asked to cover for a pro. Have a wonderful and restful summer vacation and keep dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Many thanks for your comments. I'm enjoying my blog-vacation.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Disfruta de las vacaciones, bien merecidas las tienes, descansa y diviértete mucho.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dancing is so good even though I'm so bad at it. Wonderful music!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful pic. and very thought-provoking post. I wish I was there to see this all in person. Have a wonderful break and take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Felices vacaciones, gracias por acercarte a mi blog de haikus.
    saludos desde Mallorca

    ReplyDelete
  33. For me, the things that fill that faith-shaped hole are always born of creativity. I can find magic in the wind, waters, sun, cookie dough, a piano melody, a beautiful textile, a note. Those things speak to my spirit and remind me of magic. Indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Big Ben is really magnificent and one day I will be there to photograph it my way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Drifting on the wind and stopped in San Francisco for a few days (damn Hippies !!) .... I will trade Obama for Cameron, if you are in the mood ....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...